Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Could be better

Each hockey-hounding season, I eagerly anticipate the release of Upper Deck's O-Pee-Chee set for three primary reasons:

1.) The deep checklist provides cards for some third- and fourth-liners, second and third defensive pairings and backup goalies;
2.) Because they lack that pesky glossy surface, there's no preparation work needed; and
3.) They were, in my humble estimation, a nice-looking card.

This season's release, however, is a different story. Sure, the deep checklist and pack-to-card-book ease returned. The design? Well, that's open to interpretation -- to me and an overwhelming majority of Hound Central 5.0 readers. Apparently, a slam-dunk product didn't score high with card hounds.

Question: 2009-10 O-Pee-Chee Hockey?

Tolerable: 25 votes out of 36 cast (69.4 percent)
Beautiful: 7 votes (19.4 percent)
Butt-ugly: 4 votes (11.1 percent)

(Yes, I know the percentages add to 99.9 percent, but that's the total, even after rounding up. Go figure.)

To me, the cards -- both the base and insert versions -- come off a tad too busy and a little flat. I imagine, too, I've grown accustomed to the simple approach of previous releases, where the player, not dull attempts at retro-style design, dominated the card.

Still, I appreciated the checklist and cards' ease factor enough to buy some -- a hobby box, a couple of blasters and a few Fat Packs. As for anyone else, that's your call. That's why I rate Upper Deck's 2009-10 O-Pee-Chee Hockey just that -- Your Call.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. I think the cards are a bit 'meh'.

    I also think that the way above average sets they have released in the past make this year's release look not as impressive.

    For me, I was really disappointed with the 'retro' cards. They don't look very retro...they just look simple.

    ReplyDelete