Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Caught up


It may have taken more than five hours, but all 147 pucks that needed to be catalogued and cared for can now consider themselves done. To be honest, I expected it to take a little longer.

With only a 30-minute break for dinner, I spent most of my afternoon off sitting at the table shown above, processing the pucks that we'd collected, some as far back as last November, over the 2009-10 hockey-hounding campaign.

In a way, chronicling a collection is much like a production process. Each puck gets logged into a master file (really, it's just a piece of paper), receives an identification card (another piece of paper), like this one for a puck signed by Tampa Bay's general manager Steve Yzerman, and put into a case.

From there, most end up in a 72-case box that's put in storage. A handful, though, find their way into one of our two burgeoning display cases.

I may not be ready for the upcoming 2010-11 campaign, but I'm considerably closer. I'm sure the bag will be packed by the time Lightning players start their informal skating sessions this month.

5 comments:

  1. It's always nice to get that stuff out of the way. At the same time, it can be fun once you get into the groove.

    Do you go through old boxes with your collection often? I find I dip into my Linden box every couple months. Fun times.

    Enjoy the rest of your summer. Hockey season is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is. Now I can turn my attention to the display cases and the upcoming season,

    I seldom dip into old boxes. Putting away those pucks today provided some funny memories.

    Off to Disney World next week. Put this busy summer of freelancing to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though the picture shows just a portion of your collection, seeing some of them together truly illustrates the enormity of your collection.

    I hound in St. Louis--both the Blues and visiting teams--so I hope to send in some of my results throughout the year.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to see what your display casses look like

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff0120; Thanks. Shoot me an e-mail when you get a chance at cms_hockey@yahoo.com. We're always looking to cast a wider net.

    Anonymous: I'll tell you what. Gimme a couple days and let's see what I can do. It's about time to update those displays.

    ReplyDelete