Thursday, October 7, 2010

When worlds collide

Here we are, the 2010-11 NHL season hasn't even started, and I'm reporting, at least from a hockey hound's perspective, a troubling stat: I'm 0-for-2 in card books. Thinking I'd given myself a head start by getting card books ready for the Florida Panthers and Atlanta Thrashers, I won't be able to use either just now.

Last week, the Florida Panthers arrived only hours before a preseason game against the Tampa Bay Lightning, taking a bus to the St. Pete Times Forum after landing at Tampa International Airport. No overnight stay meant no hounding opportunities.

Instead, we looked ahead to this Saturday, when the Atlanta Thrashers travel to Hockey Bay for the Bolts' season opener. With any luck, we would've reached the team's hotel with enough time to break the ice. Well, that's not going to happen know.

Funny thing, though, I'm not complaining. Colin has a hockey doubleheader with his Pinellas P.A.L. Stars squad this Saturday. I'll miss the first game, as I have to work. I'll make it for his second game.

When it comes down to it, the decision is a no-brainer. Watching Colin put a summer's worth of skating to work during his hockey games tops everything else.

Besides, both Southeastern Division rivals will be back. I'll kick off my hockey-hounding season Oct. 18, when the Dallas Stars fly over the Gulf of Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment