Thursday, December 30, 2010

Paint pen issues

I don't know what it is, but I'm being plagued again by balky DecoColor paint pens. Over the years, these have been a reliable resource in building our 2,100-plus autographed puck collection. But these three pucks, snagged earlier this week when the Boston Bruins came to town, are the latest examples that have me looking for something new.

I swear, I take the time to prime each pen -- shaking it and depressing the tip to get the paint flowing -- before getting a puck signed. Still, though, the results are less than impressive. Though it's been chilly down here lately in Hockey Bay (by Florida standards, that is), I'm not convinced that the culprit.

While two of the pucks -- the 2010 Olympic champions puck from Patrice Bergeron and big Bruins logo from Milan Lucic -- are passable, the Providence Bruins puck "signed" by Tuukka Rask is a candidate for a do-over.

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering about that earlier. Is it that players sign so bloody quick or the pen fails? The Oldtimers I get take their time and the puck comes out nice, the current players, sign but sign so quick the pen can't catch up. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a little bit of both. Players do sign quickly and some, like Rask, apply little pressure to the puck, almost to the point of being dainty. And, every so often, you end up with a pen that's not as good as it can get.

    I'll tell you what, though, there are three new paint pens (silver, gold and blue) all ready to go in the hounding bag.

    ReplyDelete