Sunday, July 4, 2010

On the ice

I know it was 3-on-3 play over half a rink, but it was pretty cool watching Colin score 10 points (five goals and five assists) in the 30-plus minutes I got to take in after work yesterday. Sources tell me, though, that his effort picked up noticeably upon my arrival.

He started his squirts (9-10) summer scrimmage season, meaning at least five hours of ice time each week, until school resumes in mid-August. Back-to-back hourlong practices on Tuesdays, too.

We're not sure what we'll do in the fall. I'd rather have him play a few more seasons of recreational hockey, maybe another 25-30 games or so, within his specific age group. That way, he can work on skills and game sense before, hopefully, making any jump to travel leagues.

Ultimately, his talent, not deep pockets, drives this decision. I'm old school. I believe a player must earn a spot on any roster.

No comments:

Post a Comment