Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Hockey Life: Week 24

Well, folks, here we are at the end of the 2020-11 NHL regular season. Games today decide who keeps playing and who goes home. Some players will begin their beards. Others, far fewer in number, will be hitting the links.

Down here in Hockey Bay, our hounding campaign extends for the first time in four seasons. We couldn't have a better draw, either, with the Pittsburgh Penguins, and all that means, meeting the Tampa Bay Lightning.

At the least, we'll get another crack or two at Sidney Crosby, Marc-Andre Fleury and, if we're lucky, Evgeni Malkin. Now, I'm not guaranteeing we'll get all three to sign, but I'll be happy with just one from any of them.

For the most part, and I pass this advice along to those just getting in the game, I'm going in with low expectations. If I don't get any of them, well, I have no reason to be disappointed. While it would be nice to snag a few, I don't base a trip or a season on two or three autographs.

Instead, my major target will be Penguins goalie coach Gilles Meloche. I bought Cleveland Barons and California Golden Seals pucks for him. If successful, those would be the first for each team of more than 2,300 autographed pucks in our collection.

As for the others, they'll be in the NHL for a long time. I'm certain, too, our paths will cross again. You have my word I'll be ready.

Road trip report

The ride south to Estero was long. The two games were a little longer, too. It seems we played two of the better teams in the Central Florida Hockey League. Let's just say we know how far we need to travel, so to speak, to become more competitive.

A certain someone also realized just how much effort it takes to play at this level. There's no striding and gliding, only skating hard. There's no standing around, only constant motion. Easy games, he learned, are a thing of the past.

To his credit, he played forward on a successful 5-on-3 penalty kill. As for fun, there's little to have when you're getting your fanny handed to you. In time, I'm sure he'll have some.

Win or lose, though, I want to thank the Hound Central 5.0 readers who indulge this hockey dad's sharing of his son's exploits. I know he's one of many, many thousands of kids with the same dream.

I'm hoping Saturday's games opened his eyes.

Quote of the week

"We can't win all of the time. Someone else has to win every once in a while."

Scott Clemmensen, Boston College hockey alum and Florida Panthers goalie, when asked what happened to the defending NCAA hockey champion Eagles this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment