Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Hockey Life: Week 25

When you travel in hockey circles, you'll never know who you're going to run into. Twice within a week, assuming the role of a hockey dad, I crossed paths with a few members of the Tampa Bay Lightning.

In our search for s specific pair of hockey socks, we took a ride recently over to the Ice Sports Forum in Brandon. It must have been a practice night for the Ice Bulls, as we saw Marty St. Louis, Mattias Ohlund and Brett Clark walking around the facility.

Last Sunday, at Colin's home rink in Clearwater, we saw St. Louis and Clark again, as their children played a Mites game against a Tampa Bay Jr. Lightning squad. One of the boys was easy to identify, as he wore the same number as his dad. The other? Well, a strong facial resemblance gave him away, though his jersey lacked a name and had a different number than his father.

While there was a bit of a buzz going through the facility, and The Missus loaned a black Sharpie to one of Colin's teammates so she could get some autographs, at no time did I entertain the thought of hitting them up for autographs. Lacking any items on hand, it was easy to do. But even if I had items for them, and I do have a couple of pucks earmarked for St. Louis, I still wouldn't have asked.

More than anything else, it was more out of respect for family time for these guys. They weren't NHL players when we saw them. No, they were hockey dads. Just like me, they were building a bond with a child over the game of hockey. No autograph is worth interfering with that.

Bragging Daddy alert

Granted, it may have been an intrasquad scrimmage, brought about by the inattentiveness (apparently) of his home rink's youth hockey director, but any time Colin logs six points (four goals and two assists) in a game, I can't help but tell the world.

One goal came on a breakaway, shooting while he was "flying" through the air after being tripped.

Even better, one of Colin's linemates had nine points (two goals and seven assists) in his team's 10-7 victory. Way to go, Sophia. You rock, kiddo.

Programming note

The next hounding adventure comes Wednesday, trying out luck for the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Tampa Bay Lightning. Until then, I'll be taking a break from posts.

Beyond that, it all depends on how deep the Bolts go into the playoffs. As always, I appreciate your time.

4 comments:

  1. It's interesting how you immediately identified them not as NHL players. I think that's really cool.

    I hope all is well with everyone and that the hockey travel is a fun and memorable experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that you don't give out where the teams are staying (just the different hotels) because you like us to do the work... BUT I'm hoping you can make this exception just once! My parents bought me a ticket to the game on Wednesday for my 22nd b-day present and I can't start my road trip until Wed morning. I've never been able to get an autograph before and I'm making a picture booklet of my Penguins!

    Can you help me out? Otherwise, this blog is super useful for any games I can get to next year... Thanks for all the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, no exceptions, especially for Penguins fans. (It's the playoffs, you know).

    The three hotels (Marriott Waterside, Embassy Suites and Westin Harbour Island) are within six blocks, if that, of each other.

    With a little legwork, you should be able to find them. Besides, I've written -- more than once -- where the Penguins have stayed.

    Happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Brett: I know some people might consider it heresy, but you have to give these guys some space. When they're out as NHL players, it's one thing. When they're out as dads, that's who they are.

    If people can't make or appreciate that distinction, that's unfortunate, for the lack of a better word, these people are that selfish.

    As for Colin, it's all a part of the journey. Some times you take steps forward, other times you cover familiar ground. He's learning the value of hard work -- a solid life lesson -- making the connection between that and having fun.

    After Sunday's scrimmage, he came over and asked if he had another skating session (15 sets of 15-lap drills on a small mall rink) with Daddy this week. I told him only if he wanted one. His response: "Why not?"

    You can't teach that, can you?

    ReplyDelete