Thursday, April 21, 2011

This is it

Unless the Tampa Bay Lightning win Saturday in Pittsburgh, I made my last ride over Tampa Bay of the 2010-11 hockey-hounding campaign yesterday. The rewards of the effort, however, were unspectacular.

Matt Cooke, serving a league-mandated suspension but traveling with the Penguins, was the only autograph I picked up in more than two hours. Love him or hate him, he's certainly worthy, considering his reputation, of having a puck. with it, it means the autographed puck collection stands at 2,302.

Of all of the players to take part in the morning skate, only Cooke, Deryk Engelland and Aaron Asham, took the time to sign. Every other player, including Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang and Marc-Andre Fleury, didn't sign, heading straight for hotel courtesy vans or the team bus. They may have signed later, but I wasn't there.

I missed out -- again -- on goalie coach Gilles Meloche by five minutes, relegating the Cleveland Barons and California Golden Seals pucks I had for him to storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment