Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sorry, Mr. Al

As Buffalo's Ryan Miller walked up the sidewalk, a flash of guilt struck my conscious. Given the item in my hand, I knew it would be the only item -- a base for McFarlane figure -- that I'd get signed. The only question was whether I'd keep it.

Al, Hound Central 5.0's senior correspondent in Toronto, is one of the very few people we'll get autographs for down here in Hockey Bay. Between all of the the work he's done for this blog and Hockey Hounds Universe, as well as his inspiring, but unsuccessful, attempt to covert Colin to the long-suffering existence of Leafs Nation, it's easy to say "yes" when he sends down the occasional item he'd like for us to get signed.

In one of his recent parcels, Al sent a McFarlane base for Miller. Later, he sent a Miller McFarlane for us, too. So, going into he Sabres recent visit, I faced the prospect of carrying both. That, to me, posed a little bit of a problem.

It's my belief that anytime you offer two same items to a player, you immediately come off as a dealer. After spending as much time as we have cultivating a collection, that's the last thing I wanted to do. And when it comes to the Sabres, I must remain true to my allegiances. Even if it means appearing greedy.

Besides, should both team make the playoffs and ultimately meet in the early rounds, I'll have another chance to get Al's signed. If not, there's always next year.

6 comments:

  1. The auto'd base looks great! I'm very happy that you were able to add it to your growing collection of MacFarlanes. I am overwhelmed with your generousity and in no way dissappointed in not getting an auto from Miller. Having hounded the Leafs 4 times this year and rubbed elbows with the dealers and ebayers here in Toronto I understand keeping my collector status among the players. Once the players think you are into it for profit they walk on past you or give you a weak scribble. Keep up the great work boys!

    Mr. Al

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, Mr. Al, we'll get it signed. It might take a while, but it'll get signed. same thing for the Gaborik. Maybe we'll see one of those teams in the playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey nice Miller auto thats prob one of the best ones i have seen in a while... I was wondering would you know anybody or would u know where the tampa bay lighting stay in NYC? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, not really. My advice is to walk around MSG during morning skate (10:30 or so) and look for the team bus and then follow it back to the team's hotel. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey thanks. What time should i get to the arena for a 1.00 oclock game? thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teams have to be at the rink two hours before a game. If it's a 1 p.m. start, I doubt there will be a morning skate.

    If you find the hotel, I'd get out there by 9:30 a.m. at the latest.

    ReplyDelete