Monday, February 21, 2011

Team report: Buffalo Sabres

As a child, I'd always get excited about a parade. It didn't matter if it took place on Memorial Day, the Fourth of July or at the Maple Festival in Franklinville, New York. If there was a parade, I wanted to see it.

I loved seeing the shiny red fire trucks. I liked hearing the marching bands, playing patriotic tunes as they strode, in perfect unison, past my curbside perch. And, yes, I loved scooping up the candy thrown as floats passed by.

As a hockey hound, however, I'm not a big fan of parades. I prefer having NHL players come out in two or threes, not in one, gigantic group as the Buffalo Sabres did last a couple weeks ago after gathering for a team meeting before the morning skate.

When it happens, there's little you can do to stop it. You just have to make the best of it, picking out the players you want and letting everyone else walk by. As a result, I came home with only 14 autographs, including the Sabres puck signed by Tim Connolly.

Signing cards, shown above from left, were: Nathan Gerbe, Steve Montador, Tyler Myers and Thomas Vanek.

Other highlights, so to speak:

~ Getting greedy and having Ryan Miller sign a McFarlane base;
~ Adding Thomas Vanek to the Threads collection; and
~ recognizing Brian Engblom, a former Montreal Canadiens defenseman turned TV analyst.

2 comments:

  1. how could you not recognize Engblom? He's still got the mullet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, he does. He was about 100 feet away, so I had plenty of time to grab a puck.

    ReplyDelete