Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Hockey Life: Week 12


Even though we spent last night at the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey "Fully Charged" circus at the St. Pete Times Forum, the true circus, as far as hockey-hounding is concerned, arrives Wednesday, when the Washington Capitals and You-Know-Who come to town.

Rather than carry high expectations, I've learned over the past few seasons to aim low. That way, I won't be disappointed. And it's not just Ovie, too. Aside from a handful of players, most notably Mike Knuble, most of the Capitals are as tough as a reigning Conn Smythe Trophy winner on a reigning Stanley Cup champion.

Sorry, guys, but let me be the bearer of some sobering news: you haven't won Lord Stanley's cup.

Really, it's easy to see why Ovechkin routinely and repeatedly shoots down requests by anyone who isn't a child or a young, blue-eyed blonde. The guy must get hounded, just like Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby, every place he goes. And while it would be nice (hint, hint) if he'd just have us all line up and sign one item, I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.

Instead, I'll set my sights on other players, such as the Capitals' young goalies Semyon Varlamov and Michal Neuvirth. I'd also like the opportunity to thank John Carlson for his goal at last year's World Junior Championships. Like most of you, I wouldn't pass up on autographs from Nicklas Backstrom, Mike Green and Alexander Semin.

And, just in case, I'll have a Russian hockey card for Ovie. Wish me luck.

Sneak preview

Colin had a couple of games with his Pinellas P.A.L. Stars team Friday to close out his winter season. Rather than meeting one of the two Ellenton teams, he got to play against the Tampa Bay Jr. Lightning, one of the four travel teams here in the Hockey Bay area.

Given that the Stars haven't played or practiced in some time, I was surprised to hear that the Stars beat the Jr. Lightning, 9-3 and 2-1, with Colin scoring the game-winner off a rebound with only five seconds left in the second game. In a sense, we viewed it as an informal tryout for the Jr. Lightning squad.

More than anything else, it gave him a taste of what it'll be like when he makes the jump, hopefully, to travel team play this spring. I'm sure there's at least one team down here in Hockey Bay that can use a pest-in-training.

2 comments:

  1. what is that a picture of? I starred at it for 10 minutes before deciding to write this post and ask. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's part of the ring entrance to the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus we saw on Saturday. Given that the circus was held at the St. Pete Times Forum, I thought it was appropriate that it was in the Tampa Bay Lightning's colors.

    ReplyDelete