Friday, January 21, 2011

A tale of two brothers

Can you guess who won the 1965 NCAA championship with the Michigan Tech Huskies and was later inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1988?

I think his clear and distinct signature will give this one away. Why can't the current guys give an autograph like the old timers? How about instead of advertising vintage games, tell the player to give vintage autographs?

Moody is now stepping down from his soap box.

Anyways, this is a sweet shot of Tony Esposito, holding that 1965 NCAA championship trophy, that he kindly signed for me last week before the Tampa Bay Lightning beat the Washington Capitals.

Now, for the flip side. After the Bolts-Caps game, I was waiting around to see if Tony's older brother, Phil Esposito, would be as kind. Well, I must say, NO! As the godfather of Tampa Bay hockey left the arena, he angrily let me know that he was too old for this %$&@ and muttered a few other expletives.

I was the only one who asked for his autograph, but a few fans who were leaving the arena noticed his unkind words and expressed their opinions of the situation to him. They asked him if he was too old or just too big of (jerk). Then, they came over and asked who he was.

3 comments:

  1. You know what you should do, call in or send an email to the show he does on Thursdays on NHL network and see what he has to say. The one they do at Gretzky's restaurant, the name escapes he right now but he's always on the Thursday show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could do that, but I am not sure it is worth it. over the years he has signed for me several times. Last year he did the same thing and then a week later he signed four cards for me. It is all good that he didn't want to sign. I only have 1 photo left in my collection and I am pretty confident that it will happen one day. If not it will sit in my files and collect dust with several others. If I send something to the show it may sour him worse and ruin an opportunity for others, and that's not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a Michigan Tech student and have been looking all over for this photo of Tony with the MacNaughton Cup. Could you tell me where I could find one? I would really like to write to him and ask him to sign it for me, as Michigan Tech has a very rich hockey history and he is possibly the greatest player to have ever played at Michigan Tech.

    ReplyDelete