Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Hockey Life: Week 14

It has happened every winter, ever since leaving New England and setting up shop down here in Hockey Bay. There comes a time, most often on a Saturday night, when I miss taking the back roads and highways to attend an American Hockey League game.

Though I love attending NHL games, even down here in Hockey Bay, there was something a bit more fun about taking in a game at a minor-league barn. It wasn't just the cheaper prices, either. It was like the games seemed more real, the action closer and, in a way, the night more alive. Determination filled players' faces. Boards rattled and shook. You could even smell kernels becoming popcorn.

Taking it a step further, and perhaps closer to the point, I miss hounding after AHL games. The two rinks I frequented, in Portland, Maine, and Lowell, Mass., provided some of the easiest hounding I've ever encountered. You could stand outside the players' entrance, even to the point of holding open doors. If that didn't work, the team bus was, maybe, 20 feet away. It was that simple.

I can't recall ever being really bothered by the late-night cold, even on the clearest of nights when stars were the brightest. I'm sure it has something to do with growing up in western New York. Sure, our winters were snowy. They were cold, too. Over time, you got used to it.

For all of those reasons, as well as the memories etched in my mind, there was just something about those Saturday nights. Someday, maybe, I'll get that feeling again. Until then, Hockey Bay will suffice.

A little help here

I pride myself on being able to recognize most any autograph doled out by an NHL player. But faithful reader Brett, who runs the My Hockey Card Obsession blog, has me stumped with his latest "Who am I?" contest.

I have no idea about the identities of the three signers, even with his cryptic clue. Maybe you do. If so, let Brett know. Me, too, please.

Quote of the Week

"Where's the duct tape? Where's the duct tape? Where's the duct tape?"
Colin, responding, in perfect cadence, to a nearby Lightning fan's too-loud and constant chant of "Let's go Lightning!" during the Bolts-Blue Jackets game.

3 comments:

  1. I think I've stumped everyone. Not one correct guess.....not even one attempt yet.

    I'll fire out another clue this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking the "sharp" comment had something to do with it. I went through NHL teams and couldn't come up with anything other than, perhaps, the Sabres, but even that didn't make sense.

    It's a tough one, I tell you.

    At the least, I'm hoping that you'll get a few more people cehcking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. The word 'sharp' is part of the clue.

    But not sharp as in pointy or razor......more 'with it'. The title of the post lends another key word as well.

    Good luck.

    Thanks for the plug BTW!

    ReplyDelete